Falling in love with Autumn

Falling in love with Autumn.


As September approaches, the children go back to school for their autumn term and I can feel the cooler air even in the sunniest of days. The mornings are already obviously darker and the signs of the natural world thinking about a change of season are all around us. The season is changing. 

If your a meteorologist you will be considering Autumn to officially start on the 1st September (ending 30th of November, in line with the Georgian calender). However if you watch the night sky you might be inclined to think the astronomical way and as the Earth tilts away from the sun its not officially starting until the autumn equinox on the 23rd of September. Either way there is no denying that the leaves are starting to change colour, the mornings and evenings darker and the temperatures cooler. 

This is the time of year I like to take a moment to review my summer, giving thanks for all it has brought and the memories and learning's made and take some time to think about the up and coming season. 

I have two lists I like to make myself on or just before September the first, a list of goals, things I want to achieve and get done and the second is a list to enjoy the up and coming season. This helps stay focused as well as coping with the usual and almost predictable challenges. 



The first list and plans to make are my goals , I actually do this every month but it always feels like a new year start when you match them to a season, so you can bring some real extra energy and enthusiasm to them. It is a busy month for many people but it is also a month that inspired by Earth energies you can get a lot done and include self care and enjoyment. 


List one things to do in September. 


Tidy up (what ever that looks like for you) the garden or your outside space. Have a think about how you might be using this space in the cooler months, so you can get the most enjoyment and benefit from this area. For example mine includes, packing away summer toys and soft furnishings, finishing and really important maintenance jobs, i.e painting or repairs. Planting bulbs (like tulips and daffodils). Getting out the fire pit or outside heater, cutting back and storing any wood needed. Pruning appropriate plants, trying to get the last few weeds, the last cut of the grass (or the first cut if your not a grass person like me). Whatever your outside space needs do it now you will thank yourself when the bad weather really sets in. 

Transition your summer wardrobe. This doesn't have to mean buying new things,  in fact this month I am totally embracing the #secondhandseptember movement for any 'new' things I might need. But I do like t pack away all my summer clothes. I used to think people who did this a little crazy (or over indulgent in clothes!) but actually this is really irrelevant, no matter what you currently have their will be pieces that no long fit, that are broken or damaged, that you will never wear in the cooler days or cannot wear in the rain. It really does help the mind to refresh your view on your wardrobe contents, you can see what you have a (I like to use use Instagram hash tags and or Pinterest to look for inspiration on putting things you already own together) Its a time to remind yourself what you do have and be inspired, so you can easily dress for the up and coming season. De cluttering the space from your summer stuff will also save you time and make life less stressful when managing your day to day. 

Check your calendar. Something else that is possibly done every month but I approach this as a seasonal look (more thought and detail to consider). Try making yourself a list of important events and make sure you have organised childcare, transport, bought cards and or presents (or schedule time to do it, so you stay organised and stress free) Book things like your boiler service, car winter checks, drain or guttering clean. 

Health and well being. Lots of people know that this is the season where illnesses tend to show themselves more. So try and take some preventative measures around the home and get in some supplies to navigate the germs and viruses out there. 
I like to get in some Echinecia and Vitamin C and BlueIron Blueberry Supplements.
I like to make own Elderberry Syrup from either collected elderberries or if you don't have them around you , you can used dried organic elderberries like these. If you would like me to share this recipe let me know in the comments below and I will add it to the blog! Elderberries are rich in vitamins, A, B and C and have been a traditional cold and flu remedy for years! 
I like to make a hand wash or buy a special one like this one from Neal Yards. Encouraging more hand washing.  
I also like to check my essential oil supply and take sure I have some in for physical and emotional well being , my favourites being tea tree, myrrh, geraniums, lemon, peppermint, clove, ginger, cinnamon and rosemary. Again if you want to know more about this drop me a comment below. 
Lastly I like to schedule some fun activities and me time and that mores us onto the next list. 

List two things to do in Fall. 


This is a simple list of ideas of things I would like to do with the family and for self care over the season. I find by writing them down I can schedule some of them and or refer to them when I am considering what I would like to do. Before the season passes and I 'forget' to include them. Here are some of my past and present ideas. 

  • Collect acorns, conkers and pine cones
  • Pumpkin Picking, farm visit 
  • Decorate the house for the season - candles, cushions and decorations
  • Watch a movie in front of the fire 
  • Make homemade soup - try new recipes 
  • Forest Walk
  • Visit a corn maize 
  • Make bird feeders
  • Bake a cake
  • Help bring in the harvest 
  • Have a fire gathering 
  • Craft projects, pottery, crochet, rag rugging, weaving, watercolours 
I hope today's blog post has inspired you to embrace the season. 

Let me know how you are going to fall in love with Autumn. 

Comments

Popular Posts